Want to learn new things about the human body in a fun way? We’ve got plenty of interesting facts for you! Today we are learning some human brain facts that are super interesting.
These fun facts about the brain are a great learning resource for kids, especially older kids, as well as adults that want to understand how the brain works.
Download here –> Brain Facts Coloring Pages
Did you know that the whole brain weighs about 3 pounds? And that the brain size has not changed in 30,000 years? Before you come up with a new thought, we want to share with you these interesting facts about the brain that you’ll want to learn about!
Fascinating Facts About the Human Brain
- The brain is a complex organ that controls thought, memory, emotion, touch, motor skills, and important functions that regulate our body.
- The brain and spinal cord extending from it comprise the central nervous system or CNS.
- The brain contains billions of specialized brain cells called neurons that communicate through electrical and chemical signals.
- The average human brain is about 2% of total body weight.
- A human’s brain’s weight is about 3 pounds. The brain is about 60% fat; the remaining 40% combines water, protein, carbohydrates, and salts.
- There are three different types of neurons: sensory (let us feel sensation), motor (make the connection between the brain and muscles), and interneurons (connect motor neurons, and sensory neurons to other sensory neurons.)
- Brain freeze happens when your body senses sudden extreme cold in the mouth, so it tries to react and warm up by quickly expanding the blood vessels. That change causes sudden pain.
- Gray matter is a type of tissue containing a high density of nerve cell bodies, allowing us to function normally daily.
- The frontal lobes are the largest part of the brain and are involved in many different brain functions, including decision-making, reasoning, and problem-solving.
- The temporal lobe controls long and short-term memory, recognition, perception, and auditory information processing.
- Learning new things can stimulate brain activity and promote neuroplasticity, which may help maintain brain function and cognitive ability for a long time.
- There are two cerebral hemispheres: the left hemisphere is in charge of speech, comprehension, arithmetic, and writing. The right hemisphere controls creativity, spatial ability, and artistic and musical skills.
- The parietal lobe is the part of the brain responsible for processing sensory information, including touch, temperature, and pain.
- Sperm whales have the largest brains of any animal, with a brain mass that can exceed 20 pounds.
- Because an adult brain contains about 100 billion nerve cells, it is sometimes described as a “neuron forest” due to the dense network of neurons and their branching structures.
- A recent study by the National Institutes of Health found that the brains of young adults process information at different speeds depending on the task being performed.
- While there are some differences in brain structure and function between men’s brains and female brains, the vast majority of cognitive functions are similar between the sexes.
- The blood-brain barrier is a protective barrier that prevents harmful substances from entering the brain while allowing essential nutrients and oxygen to pass through.
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR BRAIN FACTS COLORING SHEETS
Brain facts coloring pages are sized for standard letter printer paper dimensions – 8.5 x 11 inches.
This pdf file includes two coloring sheets loaded with Brain facts that you don’t want to miss. Print as many sets as needed and give them to friends or family!
DOWNLOAD PRINTABLE Brain facts PDF FILE
Brain Facts Coloring Pages
MORE FUN FACTS COLORING PAGES FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
Did you learn anything cool from our human brain facts coloring pages?