Let’s learn some interesting facts about the Great Wall of China! This UNESCO World Heritage Site is probably the biggest tourist attraction symbol of China and is even one of the new seven wonders of the world, which makes it so cool to learn about!
We put these fun facts in two free coloring pages, ready to be printed, so you and your kiddo can bring out your artistic side as you learn about this really long wall (well, more like a series of walls, but you get the point!)
Did you know that the construction of the wall took more than 2,000 years? Its construction began in the 7th century BC and continued over many centuries, with major building activities taking place during the Qin Dynasty (221-206 BC) and Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).
That’s just the basics, but let’s learn more!
12 Great Wall of China Facts For Kids
- The Great Wall of China is an ancient wall in China and part of its national identity. The wall is made of cement, rocks, bricks, and dirt.
- Its Chinese name literally means “ten thousand li wall”.
- It is the longest man-made structure. The total length of the great wall is over 13,171 miles, from the east seaside to north China, with spectacular views everywhere.
- It was originally conceived by order of Emperor Qin Shi Huang (China’s first emperor) in the third century B.C. to prevent incursions from barbarian nomads.
- The construction of the Great Wall lasted over 2,300 years (680 BC – 1681 AD). Different sections of the wall were being built, destroyed, and renovated by 9 different dynasties.
- Contrary to the popular myth, the Great Wall of China is not visible to the naked eye from outer space.
- In 2013, 10,720,000 local and foreign tourists visited the Badaling and Mutianyu parts of the wall.
- Sticky rice was the secret ingredient to maintain the durability of the Great Wall.
- Human activities have been a huge cause of damage as people living nearby allowed their goats and cattle to graze on parts of the Great Wall.
- Apart from one minor restoration, the wall has remained intact since ….
- Bodaling is probably the most visited section for tourists as it is easily accessible by public train for a low cost.
- In ancient times, smoke signal were sent from the signal towers to indicate an attack.
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA FACTS COLORING SHEETS
The Great Wall of China coloring pages are sized for standard letter printer paper dimensions – 8.5 x 11 inches.
This pdf file includes two coloring sheets loaded with The Great Wall of China facts that you don’t want to miss. Print as many sets as needed and give them to friends or family!
DOWNLOAD PRINTABLE THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA FACTS PDF FILE
MORE FUN FACTS COLORING PAGES FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
What was your favorite fact about The Great Wall of China?